Sunday, September 4, 2011

When things don't go as planned... part 3

God is still in control.

The next few sequences were a blur. Please forgive me if I mention something out of order. To my recollection, this is the order in which everything happened.

It was very early in the morning on Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday). I was in the nursery watching my little man and rubbing his foot. There was a father in there whose wife had just given birth, whose baby was also sick. As he was leaving to go tend to his wife, he noticed me crying. "I'll pray for you," he said. Shortly after that father left the nursery (within minutes), my little man's breathing slowed down enough that I was able to hold him. Praise God! Well, I wasn't able to hold him very long because his breathing became rapid again.

God was answering prayers!

We were told little man would need to be in the hospital a minimum of 7 days. Then it was 10 days. Then 14, maybe 21 days. This was not in "the plan". What about my 2 other boys? What about my DH? Who was going to take care of them? What were they going to eat? So many questions and concerns were running through my head.

Later that morning, my pastor came by to visit and pray with me. DH had left to go check on our older boys and get some stuff from the house. We had our entire church praying for us, praying for little man. Our pastor told me that he had e-mailed other pastors, and their churches would be praying for us, as well. He shared Scripture with me and prayed with me. He left to prepare for his lesson for Bible Institute and Prayer meeting that night. After he left, DH returned. Then I got a call from the nursery. They wanted to know if I wanted to come down and nurse little man. I was so happy! I had waited so long to be able to do this. God answered prayers again!! What was even more amazing was that they weren't going to have to put a feeding tube in for little man.

Over the rest of the day, the nurses slowly weaned him off of his iv fluids which had been his source of nourishment and he began to nurse more and more until he was being fully nursed, on demand. He still had to stay in the nursery, but the nurses called my room every 2 hours or so to let me nurse him. He was completely off iv fluids by Thursday morning (I think)

I was so worried about loosing that precious few days of bonding with little man, and it is probably too soon to tell if there is any effect from that. All I can say is, right now, we have very good nursing relationship, which is a start.

That evening, (Thursday) the nurse called me down to the nursery. Little man was bundled and resting in his bassinet. He was still hooked up to his pulse/ox monitor, but the nurse gave me instructions, and I was able to take him to my room for the night. Praise God! I wheeled him in the room and my DH was shocked! He had no idea that little man was coming out of the nursery. This was the first night we were able to spend together, all 3 of us.

Aint God good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends