To order our home school curriculum. I know I have gone back and forth with this for the past few months, but through the council of several other home schooling mothers and my DH, we have decided to go with A BEKA.
A lot of things factored into our decision including content of the subjects taught, Biblical world view, ease of teaching the material for me, the organization of the lessons, among other things. A BEKA has a good reputation also.
I feel confident that, should I need to take a break from schooling for some unforeseen reason, a friend or my DH could easily help keep us caught up.
DS1 will begin with A BEKA's K5 cursive kit. A BEKA starts cursive right away in 1st grade, so I thought I would go ahead and start teaching it in kindergarten (they do have a manuscript option, also for k4 and k5). DS1 is already writes his letters in manuscript pretty well, so I think he will adjust just fine :)
On August 12, A BEKA is having a materials display in a near by city. By ordering my curriculum there, I will be able to get free shipping. That is a great value! So, if I haven't had the baby by then, that is the plan :)
DS2 will not have a "formal" curriculum, but we will start working on character training and start training for school by teaching him to sit and quietly do a task like look at a book, color, or do a puzzle. Towards his 2nd Birthday, I may introduce some color and shape flash cards (and let his big brother help, too).
We will officially start "school" after Labor day, which should give me plenty of time to rest and recover from the birth. While I am resting in bed, I can work on organizing the school year for the boys. I try to school year round, giving us plenty of breaks, especially in the Spring and Summer months because there is so much going on. But that is one of the joys of home schooling; you can turn a family excursion into a "school day", and add in a few lessons on character through out the day, and you've got a full day of learning in! What a blessing! Also, if there is a minor hiccup in your day or week, you have the flexibility of doing school on Saturdays, at night, or making it up during a scheduled break or Holiday.
So, to prepare myself for the year, I have begun to re-read Terri Maxwell's book, Home Schooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit. This book is such an encouragement to me. I absolutely love Ms Terri's openness to her struggles and how she shares her heart. It really is a must read for every home schooling mother. DH has also ordered me Managers of Their Schools, also by the Maxwell's. I trust this book will also be a great help.
I feel so blessed to be able to school and teach these children at home, away from worldly influences and the wiles of the devil.
So, to all of my readers who are on this home school journey with me, I want to encourage you to keep your eternal focus. And enjoy the time you get to spend with your children, it is precious time that not every mother gets to enjoy.
Pictures
3 days ago





We'll be using Heart of Dakota. I'm so eager to get back to schooling, we'll be starting a week early!
ReplyDeleteI love the Meek and Quiet book. I have MOTH and MOTC. LMK how the school one is.