Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hospitality: Martha or Mary?

Over the last few months, our family has been blessed to be able to open our home to friends and family and show them hospitality. We are commanded to show hospitality in the Bible
Romans 12:13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
Sometimes, the gathering has been planned, other times I have been given only a short amount of time, and still other times, I have had a knock on the door and a house full of people. Though the planning for each one of these occasions is different, the goal is still the same; to make my guests feel at home in my home.

So, I thought I would share some tips with yall on how to make your guests feel welcome in your home.

1. Don't worry about the condition of your home; hospitality can shine even through the most humble of homes. I have been invited to some very humble homes and some very nice homes, but the thing that sticks out to me is the welcoming atmosphere the family has created, it is the love that the family shares with one another that

2. Smile :) Let your guests know that you are happy they are there. Be joyful towards everyone in your home. Joy is contagious. Do not ever make anyone in  your home feel like they have inconvenienced you (this includes your own husband and children). As the keeper of your home, you set the mood.
     Have you ever been in someones home and they are bending over backwards for you, but their children and husbands are getting yelled at, or getting disapproving looks or scowled at? As a guest in many homes like this, it is very uncomfortable. Hospitality can not be faked; either it is forced or genuine.

 3. Have something to eat. My standby food that I try to always have on hand is spaghetti. It is something that can feed a large group for a relatively low coast. It is also easy and quick to make. Add a salad and bread, and you have a great filling meal.
     Also, keep in mind any dietary needs your guests have. I have a friend who does not like corn (I found this out after serving corn on the cob one night while she and her family were over for supper) Oops! I was so embarrassed! So, I offered to make her another vegetable in it's place. She was so gracious about it (Phew!) and said that I didn't have to go through any extra trouble. Our family also has dietary needs, so it is so special when we go to some one's home and they take our dietary needs into consideration. It makes us feel so welcomed and loved.

4. Create an inviting atmoshpere in your home. Light candles. Play nice, God honoring music. Keep your home tidy and comfortable; keep it "clean enough". I have a "rule" for myself, if it is good enough for my family to live in, than it is good enough for our guests. So, my home is usually tidy enough to welcome guests, unexpected or planned.

5. Use hospitality in your home as a way to teach character to your children. Teach them what it means to put others first and not be selfish. Talk to them about the importance of fellowship. Your children will pick up on your attitude towards hospitality. Are you inconvenienced by it? Or do you welcome it with joy? Are you running around trying to make everything perfect? Or do you put down your pride and concentrate on pleasing your guests (and the Lord) and meeting their needs?

Hospitality is commanded of us, it is important to the Lord and should be important to us. I try to serve each guest in my as if I was serving the Lord. Hospitality is more than just feeding and entertaining, it is fellowship also.

So, are you a Martha or a Mary?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends